Pages

Sunday 9 March 2014

Kinder Scout Wild Camp 8/3/14

I poled up at my usual parking place in Hayfield at around 2pm and noticed it was lots busier than usual, inevitable I suppose seeing now summer is almost upon us.
I set off on a steady plod towards Kinder Reservoir, it was warm and calm but a little hazy.
Today's plan was to tackle the Grade 1 scramble up Red Brook, pass Downfall, head towards Fairbrook Naze and set up camp for the night, hopefully taking in some good shots of the clear night sky.
I skirted around the familiar perimeter path of the reservoir, crossed the small bridge and turned right following the ground steadily rising up above the reservoir, pretty soon it was pastures new as the rest of the route was new to me.


I followed the River Kinder upstream, stopping every so often to take in the numerous picturesque waterfalls along its route, I soon passed Peter Nook wood, keeping an eye peeled for the little stream that would see me leave the River Kinder behind and head East.



It was boggy in places so I alternated between the River bed and the banks, often having to cross over to avoid near vertical banks, eventually I veered off up the Red Brook. I hadn't encountered a single sole yet (despite Hayfield being littered with parked cars) this was my kind of trail!


The Red Brook was quite easy-going at first but soon became steeper with massive, slippy, moss covered boulders blocking the way which required a fair bit of thought before tackling, my large pack was a big hindrance, often getting wedged on rocks above, a slip didn't bear thinking about.





The climb took me longer than expected but I finally popped out onto the ridge path, looking back down it you'd never guess it was a route up!



I headed in the direction of Kinder Downfall, it was still warm but pretty damn windy in places.
As I neared Downfall I reached for the camera, I'd seen the water being blown back but never from close up. I was so engrossed with taking photo's I also got a minor drenching from the spray!





The Sun was now starting to get low so I followed the River Kinder upstream looking for a sheltered place to pitch.
It was bogs in every direction so I picked a random route looking for a dip in the ground that would offer me some respite from the wind, It didn't take me long to find a half decent spot only to realise I'd forgotten to collect some water!


After righting my small mistake I pitched the tent, opting to use two pegs in places (due to the forecast of 50mph gusts).
I grabbed a few shots of the impressive sunset and fired up the Jetboil for some food and a coffee, shortly after I decided to hit the sack.
I had planned to wake up at around midnight to grab some shots of the stars, but it was just too windy.



I woke up a bit later than I should have and set about a quick breakfast and de camp, I strolled back the way I'd came with the sunshine making a guest appearance!!


I passed Downfall and joined the Pennine Way, making a quick detour to find the discreet trig point near Sandy Heys and with my mission complete I descended back down to the reservoir passing a number of groups on their way up, the sun was beginning to beat down and for the first time this year I could have done with some shorts.





As I rounded the reservoir and made my way down the steep cobbled path back to the car I was a little disappointed to have not bagged any star pictures, but with the weather improving vastly I will crack them next time :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment