Pages

Sunday 18 May 2014

Kinder Scout Wild Camp 17/5/14

After a crappy week I decided that a visit to Kinder was in order, not only that but it felt like ages since I was last there..

I had the usual struggle through Ashbourne and arrived in Hayfield just after mid-day, it was quieter than expected so parking was a cinch.

On the walk up to the reservoir my eyes were bombarded by the vivid dazzling colours, greens, yellows, blues all making the most of the bright sunshine.




I headed on up William Clough, the sun was beating down but a decent breeze and careful footing kept my mind off the heat.
The higher I got the vibrant colours slowly got left behind, replaced by colours dulled by constantly fighting the elements.



I sat down at the top of William Clough and took a while deciding where I would head next, it was either a stroll down towards Burnt Hill or follow the Pennine Way towards Featherbed Top, I eventually decided against Burnt Hill as it was heading back towards civilisation.
I joined the Pennine Way and headed Northeast towards Featherbed Top.


It was very quiet, only the odd person and aircraft descending towards Manchester broke the silence.
Some time later I'd had enough, I needed water and the Snake Pass was looming into view, I left the Pennine Way and headed straight through the bogs towards the Northern Edge of Kinder, it was just as expected, thick foliage in places and bogs keen to devour my boots!
I breathed a sigh of relief when I came across a decent sized stream, I ditched the heavy pack, collected water and ate a hearty lunch.


I decided to follow this stream down to the River Ashop, thankfully the going got a little easier and I was able to criss cross the stream whenever obsticles appeared.
I took care when approaching lambs, as their parents were always keeping a watchful eye..



After a short search I found a secluded spot overlooking the path beside the River Ashop, I had a cracking view of the two Red Brooks on Kinder's Northern edge.
It was still mid afternoon so I set up the camera for some timelapse and lazed in the sun while listening to some music.
As time was now getting on I pitched the tent, the increasing breeze testing my patience at times!



I hit the sack shortly after sunset with the pleasant calls of Lambs and Grouse keeping me awake and smiling.



I slept soundly for a good 10 hours and awoke in a great mood, feeling lucky to be in such amazing surroundings.
After a black coffee and quick breakfast I packed up my stuff.
I followed the River Ashop back towards Ashop Head, passing yet more inquisitive lambs giving them a wide berth so as not to concern their parents.




On the nice stroll back down William Clough I took pictures of the many waterfalls I'd spotted on the way up.




On the previous days ascent up William Clough I saw loads of these beautiful metallic green beetles, thankfully after a bit of a chase this one stayed put long enough for a photo!




This nice little natural bridge caught my eye on the way down, thankfully I managed to get a decent photo of it without taking a dip in the stream!


I couldn't resist taking some flower shots on the way back to the car, glad I did as I'm happy with how they turned out.



My visit to Kinder was just what I needed and if the Lakes are on a par with this trip I'll be a very happy man ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment